The Unified Multi-Purpose ID (UMID) is a 4-in-1 identification card and currently one of the most powerful government IDs you can have. This can be used for several government transactions such as SSS, GSIS, PhilHealth, and Pag-IBIG. It can now also be used to withdraw SSS Loans and other benefits.
One of the evident problems of our fellow kababayans face with many transactions like opening a bank account is not having any valid ID. If we were to recommend an ID to acquire, it would be the UMID ID. (While we’re still waiting for the National ID)
I still remember the day I processed my UMID ID. The staffs from Social Security System (SSS) visited our company to cater employees who still don’t have UMID ID and processed everything from there. I received my UMID ID after several days of waiting.
If you are a newly-grad student applying for a job, the Human Resource department of your company will assist you in acquiring one. However, if you’re the one who will apply for your own UMID ID, this guide will definitely help you through the process of getting your own.
How Can SSS Members Get UMID ID (First Timers)
If you are a first time applicant, you should meet the following conditions:
- Have no other UMID Cards
- Paid for at least 1 month contribution
- Have a valid date of coverage (registration date as an active SSS member)
- Have an SSS Number
- First time applicants will be able to acquire UMID ID for FREE.
- Just in case you have lost your UMID Card, you can apply for replacement which comes with a fee of Php 200 on any SSS Branch of your choice.
For your information: There are other government documents you can avail for free if you’re a first-time job seeker.
UMID Application Process for SSS Members:
Applying for UMID card is pretty straight forward. Just bring all the necessary requirements, fill out the necessary forms, wait, and that’s basically it.
Step 1. Download and Fill-out UMID Card Application Form – You can download the SSS UMID ID Application Form on their website. Always double check when filling out the application form.
a. SSS will not accept forms with erasures and visible corrections. Make sure that SSS number and all other information you write matches the one registered in the SSS database.
b. Indicate your permanent address, not your temporary address as the mailing address. For example, if you reside in Metro Manila during weekdays but return to Batangas every weekend, indicate your provincial address.
c. Do not leave a blank. Instead, write “N/A” or “Not applicable” if the required information does not apply
d. Provide at least one contact information where SSS will be able to notify you regarding the status of your application. This can either be your mobile number, telephone number or your email address. Any combination of these would be recommended.
e. If you want to use your UMID as an ATM card, indicate your choice of bank from the list of SSS-accredited banks.
Step 2. Prepare Required Documents:
- Bring Your Fully Accomplished SSS UMID ID Form.
- Prepare 1 primary ID. You can either use your Passport, Driver’s License, PRC Card, or Seaman’s Book. If you do not own any of these, you may bring two (2) of your secondary identification card or documents.
- Here’s a list of IDs you can use in your transactions
Step 3. Go to SSS Branch With UMID – Not all SSS branch processes UMID applications. To help you out, here’s a list of SSS Branches with UMID Enrollment Facilities.
Step 4. Have your Signature and Biometrics taken – After your application is verified, your name will be called to the ID capture booth for photo taking, fingerprint scanning, electronic signature. You will then be asked to double check the correctness of the details in your UMID card shown on the screen.
An UMID application slip will then be issued to you afterwards. This will indicate the estimated delivery of your UMID card. So, note the date to know when you or an authorized representative should be home to receive it.
Step 5. Wait for UMID Card Delivery – It usually takes eight (8) days for SSS to process and print UMID cards before delivering it via PhilPost. From then, it will take 5 to 7 working days in Metro Manila, 7 to 10 working days outside Metro Manila, and 10 to 20 working days for remote areas.
Authorized representatives should have an authorization letter and a photocopy of your valid ID to accept the package.
Step 6. Activate your UMID Card – This can be done at any SSS branch or kiosks in selected malls nationwide. Use your activated UMID card to check your eligibility for SSS salary loans, benefits, and contributions.
You might want to read: 8 Things Members Can Get From Monthly SSS Contributions.
How to get UMID ID for GSIS Members and Pensioners
Step-by-step Application Guide
Step 1. Download and Accomplish UMID eCard Enrollment Form – Fill out the printable UMID eCard Enrollment Form. Make sure to double check every information you put in the application form.
Be careful in choosing your preferred servicing bank. Pensioners who prefer Land Bank of the Philippiens (LANDBANK) will not be allowed to transfer their UMID accounts back to Union Bank of the Philippines UBP and vice versa.
Step 2. Prepare Necessary Documents:
- Accomplished eCard Enrollment Form
- Two valid IDs – Present two valid government-issued IDs and their photocopy along with your enrollment form. This also includes your GSIS eCard if you already have one.
- Just in case you don’t have any pri
Step 3. Claiming UMID Card – GSIS will send you a text confirmation instructing you how to claim your UMID card once available. You should receive it at the GSIS office where you applied for UMID.
Step 4. Activate UMID Card – As soon as you receive your UMID card, proceed to any GSIS Wireless Activated Processing System ([email protected]) kiosk. This is located in your provincial capitol, city hall, selected municipal offices, government offices, GSIS branches and Robinsons Malls.
- Place the eCard on the [email protected] Kiosk card reader.
- Select any of the pre-registered fingers on the screen.
- Scan your fingerprint to activate your card.
If the fingerprint scanner fails to scan the selected finger, simply select another pre-registered finger then repeat scanning.
Your UMID card will be activated within 72 hours, upon which you will receive a confirmation message.
Unified Multipurpose ID (UMID) Application Tips and Warnings
1. Avoid fixers. Anyone who offers “rush” or “express” application for your UMID card in behalf of you is a scammer and will charge a fee. Apparently, this should not be possible for UMID Applications in SSS since they require a personal appearance for photo taking.
2. Clean your fingers prior to fingerprint scanning. This will prevent your UMID application from being rejected.
3. Wear the appropriate attire. It is highly prohibited to wear contact lenses, sleeveless shirts/blouses, dangling earrings during photo capture.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I have been waiting too long for the delivery of my SSS UMID Card. How can I track the status of my application?
You can track your application through your online SSS account. First, log in t your SSS account. When logged in, move the cursor over E-Services then click Inquiry. Then, check Member Info and click SSS ID card. You will see there the Transaction/Card Status indicating the dates when your SSS UMID Card was generated, packaged and mailed.
If it says it is already mailed and still not arriving at your doorstep, try to contact SSS to provide you the details of your delivery. You can email SSS Identity Management Department through the following emails: [email protected] or [email protected]
No worries about being seen-zoned. They have an excellent team which responds to our queries usually after 2 to 3 working days. Just be sure to provide the following details:
- Full Name (Last Name, First Name Middle Name)
- SSS Number
- Date of SSS UMID Card Application
- SSS Servicing Branch
After receiving your query, they will send you an email with your tracking and reference number as well as the date your UMID was posted. You can also use the tracking number to check the shipping history of your UMID at the PhilPost website. To give further assistance, they will also relay your concern to the local post office where you addressed your UMID Card.
However, if you do not receive any reply from them within a few days, you can try the following:
1. Contact SSS:
- Trunkline Number: (02) 920-6401
- Call Center: 920-6446 to 55
- SSS Facebook Page
SSS Call Center is available 24 hours during weekdays only. You might encounter busy lines during the day. Thus, it would be better to call them at night when phone calls are less. SSS Call Operators will surely ask about the details of your application (same with the info when you email them), so ready it beforehand.
2. Go to the nearest SSS Branch
3. Visit your local post office
In claiming your UMID Card in your local post office, you will need to present the following:
- UMID Claim Stub
- One Valid ID
- Tracking Number and Common Reference Number (CRN) obtained from SSS
You may find a bunch of other undelivered parcels in their office, so be sure to have a lot of patience with you. This may take a couple of hours before they hand you your UMID.