It’s never too early or too late to start any resolutions in our life. The moment you want to make a change for the better, start taking action right ahead! All you gotta do is stay committed to your goals and keep it consistent.
The basic idea is to keep your goals smart. Create an actionable plan where you can work the most possible effective way for you. It doesn’t matter whether it is personal or career related goals. What matters is your consistent and continuous improvement in different aspects of life.
Here are some helpful New Year’s Resolution Ideas for our fellow Filipino kababayans.
20 New Year’s Resolution Ideas For Filipinos
1. Get In Shape
“Uy, Anlaki mo na!” and “Uy, ang taba mo na” are just two of the popular lines you hear from people who notice your transformation. (yehes transformation.. para di masakit, beh!)
Getting in shape is one of the most common new year’s resolution people make specially those people who love to eat. But there are a lot of perks getting back in shape.
Good figure improves your self-esteem and gives you more confidence in your daily activities. Staying fit also reduces and prevents high blood pressure and risk of heart related disease and stroke.
Exercising improves your overall focus, gives you more freedom of movement, and overall lightness of feeling which you cannot have if you are obese.
2. Become a Better Person
There are a lot of things you can improve in our lives specially during adulting period. However, the more challenging part is to do this with consistency. In order to solve this, you can create a cellphone wallpaper of list of things you want to improve in your life. You can also create a vision board to remind you consistently.
You need to understand “What you cannot measure, cannot be improved”. Can you say that you can run faster if you do not know your previous speed? You can only say whether a thing is getting better or worse if you got something to measure.
3. Start a Business
If you are somebody who is ambitious and loves challenges in life, why not start a business? There are a lot of reasons to put up your own business instead of staying in a corporate job. If you want to become an entrepreneur, here are some of the benefits that goes along with it.
- Flexible schedules and deadlines
- Become an expert in your passion
- Meet new people and build a team
- Make more money and become financially independent
- New challenges every day
- Have something you can call your own
- Create jobs and help people
- More time with your loved ones
If you’re interested in starting a business, here’s a huge list of business ideas for you:
- 101 Perfect Small Business Ideas You Can Start in the Philippines
- 12 Best Home Business Ideas in Philippines With Small Capital
- 10 Best Online Business Ideas You Can Start In Philippines
4. Become More Productive
If you feel like you’ve been lazy for the past years of your life, learn and practice to become more productive this year. This may take a little while to get into your system because you need to develop the habit. Becoming a productive individual takes effort, discipline, and patience.
Here are some effective productivity exercise you can add to your daily routines:
- Learn Pareto Principle or 80/20 rule
- Always write a to-do list
- One task at a time, don’t multitask
- Always have a plan
- Find your peak hours where you can work and focus on more important tasks
- Exercise or walk to increase your alertness
- Drink lots of water
- Strategic break time
- Ask for things that take time to understand instead of learning it by your own
- Get yourself some sunlight
5. Save Money
There are many reasons why we need to save money. Although we may have different situations, needs, and lifestyle, there will always still be things we need to save up for.
I previously wrote an article about the importance of having an emergency funds. You’ll learn the basics what it is for, how to start saving for it, and how much money you need to keep. This is a must read and I hope you take some time to assess and plan for your own.
Here are some of the reasons why you should save money:
- Buy a home or car
- Pay your debt
- Unforeseen expenses
- To prepare for opportunities
- For kids’ education
- For big purchases
- Savings to give to others
- To have financial peace
- To ultimately make money work for you
You can always start saving small amount of money and slowly make it bigger. If it’s not anymore reasonable to cut some savings from your main source of income, you can get a side hustle. There are a lot of home based jobs you can apply for part time online.
6. Learn New Skills
We are living in a constantly changing world. If you don’t want to be left out, constant learning is also a must. It’s always good to push yourself to your limits, try to learn new things, and get out of your comfort zone. This is a great way to keep your brain cells active and not let it stagnate.
Learning new skills can give you new perspective in life. It can help make you more creative by applying discipline from one field of interest to another. The more skills you acquire in different fields, the more creative you can become.
“Stay hungry. stay foolish.” – Steve Jobs
7. Remove Vices
Whether you admit it or not, we people have some sort of addiction in different forms. Some have destructive vices such as smoking, drinking liquor, too much eating, gambling, and etc. Some vices are in forms of online games, excessive social media usage, and etc.
These vices do not really add value to our lives unless you are aware of what you are doing and you do it on purpose. However, most people do these only for pleasure. Time, money, and effort are wasted on these things. We can do more meaningful and important things if we remove these vices in our lives.
8. Change Bad Habits
Bad habits prevent you from doing the things that are aligned to your goal. These habits threaten also your health both physically and mentally. Luckily, bad habits can be replaced with good ones and written below are some of the things you can do in order to overcome them.
- You break a bad habit by replacing it with a good one.
- List down your bad habits and all the possible triggers.
- It takes time to change it.
- Cut out as many triggers as possible. Out of sight, out of mind.
- Be vigilant in tempting scenarios.
- Be with somebody who can act as your bodyguard. (buddy guard)
- Reward yourself whenever you can control
- Punish yourself whenever you fall short
- Practice meditation to practice controlling your thoughts to reprogram your system
- Surround yourself with people who are doing what you want to achieve
9. Get a Job You Like
If corporate setting is what fits you, better pursue a job you like. Always remember that if you love your job, you never have to work a day in your life because it feels just like playing, right?
Making this decision is vital for your career, your health, and life overall. This may take a little while because there are only few opportunities in getting that ideal job that just feels like having fun.
I was once in a corporate setting. I love my job. I can say I landed a job that I really want. I’m able to work 10 hours every day Monday to Friday. However, I wanted more. I feel like I’m still trapped my situation. And so I planned my way jumping from my previous job to become a freelancer.
If you’re interested how I did it and the things I considered in doing the jump, you can start reading Smooth transition from office job to online job.
Never miss the opportunity! We’re living in an era where there’s a bunch of opportunities to take the path you truly wants.
10. Eat Healthier Foods
Eating healthy may not be easy for some people. But this is one of the best decisions an individual can make. Healthy foods can help you feel better and can reduce your risk of spending huge amount of money for future hospital bills. As always, prevention is A LOT BETTER than cure.
Here are other reasons to change your eating habits:
- Eating healthy can boost your mood and fight depression
- Healthy foods help us in our cognitive tasks
- Boosts your immunity
- Makes your life longer
- Boosts your energy
- Helps your skin glow
Even bible passages teach us to eat veggies to make our skin glow in 10 days at Daniel 1:12-15.
11. Move On
It’s hard to let go of the things we’ve loved and even the things that hurt us. But the question is can you still do something about it? If there’s none, you are wasting your energy which can be used for other important stuff.
First of all, accept. Whatever it is that you are trying to let go needs some time to heal. What you need to do is to get yourself away from things that will let you remember the past. Just stop the blame game, no excuses, you need to move on. Else, you might find yourself in depression.
Here are some effective things you can do in order to move on:
- Get your self physically active. Play sports, ride bike, travel, dance, swim, etc.
- Rearrange stuff in your room, home, etc.
- Surround yourself with people and talk about plans and ideas. Never isolate yourself.
- Get enough sleep.
- Add something new in your routine and in your environment.
- Entertain yourself. Watch funny movie or T.V show.
The basic idea is if you find yourself can’t get away from thinking, go outside and keep yourself busy with new stuff. You need to divert your thoughts into other things. Inject new things into your routine and always be with somebody who can accompany you.
12. Improve Relationship
Whenever you feel like you’re not in good terms with somebody who plays a vital role in your life, take some time and effort to improve with your relationship with that person. It might be your partner, your boss, your parent, a friend, or whoever it is that’s important to you.
Here are some tips you can use in order to fix or improve your relationship with anybody:
- Seek to understand first before trying to be understood. Try to wear other people’s shoes.
- Recognize emotional triggers and learn how to control
- Listen. Understand the problem and focus on the solution. If it’s hard to change, meet halfway.
- Be willing to receive feedback and criticism.
- Always be careful with your speaking tone.
- Ask. It’s always good to ask to understand differences.
- Give compliments. Be appreciative.
- Sometimes, the relationship with another person is more important than being right.
13. Reduce Social Media Usage
In today’s time, people spend a lot of time on social media which can be used in other valuable activities. If you’re spending around 2 hours on social media everyday, guess what, you are spending around 730 hours every year. And this equates to 30 days of social media every year.
Do you realize that? You’re spending one out of twelve months in a year in social media! that’s a lot! I guess I don’t need to explain further. But here are other things you learn within a month:
- Basic Coding
- Photo and Video Editing
- Drive a manual car
- Self Defense
- Create a sideline
- Lose weight
- And a lot more
14. Learn To Take and Handle Risks
We all encounter risks in different areas of our lives. However, it seems like many people don’t know how to handle it. People’s initial reaction to risks is fear which shouldn’t be the case. We need to change the way we perceive and handle risks for us to have better decisions in life.
Risk is everywhere:
- There is always risk for a bike, car, boat, or an airplane to crash.
- Risk for a medical operation not to succeed.
- Risk for you to fail an exam.
- Risk for you to struggle in business.
Now that we understand that risk is everywhere, we need to accept it. We cannot avoid risk. However, what we can do is to manage the risk. If we cannot eliminate it, we can minimize it. We can also transfer the risk to others who can handle it better.
15. Conquer Fears
It is human nature to fear certain things we encounter or just about to encounter. Fear is a natural tool inside our being to keep us safe from possible dangers. However, the problem with fear is when it gets too much.
Fear can limit our full potential. We sometimes fear too much to the point that it causes us to not take action. Overcoming fear is very simple. Be with somebody who have done what you fear doing and let that person assist you.
Whenever you fear about something, just do it! You will realize that these fears are just simply False Evidences Appearing Real.
16. Give and Help More
Being able to give and help without expecting anything in return gives us one of the best feelings in life. Helping people can boost our mood, make us feel happier, and more importantly, it brings back the human in us.
It’s typical for us people to wish for something we want in life. But it’s a whole different thing if instead of wishing for something, we play the part of being the blessing to others.
Here are some of the few things you can do to help others:
- Smile. As simple as it sounds but smiling is contagious and it makes the other person’s day a little better.
- Teach. Whether it be teaching your grandma to use a smartphone or teaching a friend a technical skill.
- Listen. It’s a huge help to listen to somebody who is depressed or sad.
- Join charity works. There are a lot of charity works which you can join as part of manpower.
- Give food to homeless people.
- Help household chores.
- Comfort other people.
- Ask people how are they doing.
Every simple act of kindness can be passed to other people. This can make our world a better place one act of kindness at a time.
17. Take Responsibility & Stop Blaming Others
One of the skills of a more mature person is the ability to be in control when no one wants to take in-charge. This is one of the traits that is worth exercising. Many successful person has this trait. So if you want to achieve something, stop the blame game and take charge.
Try to be somebody who is dependable and trustworthy and you will get other people’s respect. Another benefit of becoming a responsible person is having the ability to recognize circumstances beyond control.
Being able to understand and act accordingly to different situations is one of the goals every people should aim for. This can be used not just in career or business but in many different areas of life.
18. Look at the Brighter Side
Keeping a positive outlook in life doesn’t just make us happier but can also keep us healthy. This can be a little harder to practices than it is several years ago because of the negativity scattered in social media, we just need a little awareness to keep ourselves protected.
Here are some things you can practice to have positive outlook in life
- Stay away from negative people. Remember, bad company corrupts good character and birds of a feather, flock together.
- Focus on the solution and not on the problem. Always have a solution oriented approach in resolving problems.
- Become physically active. Studies have been made that many forms of exercise contributes to overall well-being of a person.
- Gratitude attitude. Always train yourself to be grateful whatever situation you are in.
This takes a little practice and consistency but the overall impact of having a positive attitude in your life is something money cannot buy.
We need to understand that positive thinking may not always result to 100% success. But negative thinking is surely bound to failure.
19. Create A Dream Board
Dream board or Vision board is one a great way order to keep yourself reminded of the things you want to achieve in life. This may sound very simple but it’s surprisingly effective. The idea behind is to make your imagination work as if you’re already living your dream life. Visualizing your goals can keep your activities focused on to the direction you’re heading to. Here are some of the benefits creating your own dream board:
- It gives you sense of direction in life
- It keeps you moving towards your dreams
- Vision board constantly reminds you of your goals
- It can fire your emotions up
- It can be a good creative hobby
Put in your dream board things that inspire your to keep you going. You can include things related to your career, health, relationship, self-improvement, ideal life, or whatever it is that you wanted to have.
20. Read More
It seems like not too many people love to read. But if we only understand the benefits of it, you will is that reading is not something optional but should be part of our daily routine.
If we will only realize that there are books written by people who have 10, 20, 30, or more years of experience in their fields. Guess what? you don’t need to experience the failures and struggles they’ve been through.
Here are other things you can benefit from reading:
- Reading gives you knowledge which makes you ahead of other people
- It exercises your brain and improves your memory
- It improves your imagination, comprehension, and critical thinking
- Reading is a useful hobby which can improve your concentration
- It can make you think like the man who wrote the book
If you got your own new year resolutions to share, comment it down below and let’s talk about it! If you feel like new year resolutions don’t work for you? maybe here’s why.