A lot of people are asking “what’s the best business out there?“, “what business has the highest profit?” and other similar questions. Though it’s an important concern to know which business has the biggest potential, but I strongly believe that it shouldn’t be the first question ask.
In this post, I’ll share my insight regarding one of the most important things you need to consider in starting a business. This can be applied not just solely in business but in many other important matters of life where critical decision making is needed.
What is self awareness and how it can affect your business?
From the definitions you can get on the internet, self awareness is the conscious knowledge of your own personality, traits, character, strengths, weaknesses, emotion, beliefs and thoughts.
Self awareness gives you a clearer understanding of who you are as an individual and what makes you distinct from other people. It allows you to comprehend people more and also understand how people perceive you.
In business, it’s important to know who you are, your background, what your skills are, what you want, your strengths, and your weaknesses.
You don’t want to start a business that is built around the things you hate or things you’re clueless at, right?
How to build Self Awareness
There are several factors that contributes to why you are who you are right now. This is one of the most exciting things I’ve done in my life because I get to know not just myself but my surroundings even better.
First of all is the Genetics. A part of who you are today is where you came from. It is in your DNA. Try to look and observe your parents’ characteristics and try to assess from them which of their characters you inherited.
Trying to understand why you are who you are is not a one night process. However, you’ll be able to realize many things in the first hours of conscious effort in figuring things out. The rest is through constant observation of things around you.
Next are the Psychological factors. The values your parents taught you, your upbringing, and all those childhood experiences you have are big part of who you are today. Try to look back and reflect about your tendencies, your emotional response, and reaction to different stimulus.
Third are the Environmental factors. Your professors, people you idolize, your partner, your economic situation, the environment where you lived in. Basically, there are people or things in your environment that are responsible for who you are right now.
Whether you are aware or not, your daily interaction and communication in the environment where you lived is a major influence why you are who you are right now.
Later, I’ll share with you a website where you can have a good idea about your personality. I discovered the website long ago and it gave me a super spot-on description of who I am, about 80% accuracy.
but before we get to that, let’s see..
How Self Awareness Can Affect Your Life and Business
Once you get started to know yourself more, things will eventually fall into their proper places. Self awareness enables you to recognize the things you do best and what opportunities to take. Keep into your mind that this is the starting point to success.
This will give you clear awareness about what your strengths are. It will also help you easily accept your weaknesses and shortcomings.
To give you some things to ponder, here are good things self awareness can bring:
1. You’ll be able to respond to people and situations appropriately. One good thing self awareness can bring is not just about knowing yourself, but other people as well. If you managed to accept your weaknesses, you’ll gain the understanding for other people’s weaknesses too.
Impulsive reactions will be lessen because you are now trying to assess where people’s response are coming from.
2. Genuine happiness. A lot of people now are trying to be happy. Sadly, most of their happiness is temporary.
By simply having the awareness of what you really want in life and not what others expect from you is already life changing.
You will not live other people’s expectation because you are living on your own. Be the real you. Acknowledging your strengths weaknesses will give you better decisions in many areas of life.
3. Better interpersonal skill. You will soon realize that everybody is different in their own ways. Recognizing this truth can make you more open for suggestions and point-of-views. This very much needed in life and in business.
Interpersonal skill may include how you manage and help other people. Since self-awareness gives you a broader view of your surroundings, it enables you to easily bridge the solution to the problem of people you handle.
4. You’ll learn when to say Yes and No. Self awareness gives you sense of direction. This allows you to carefully choose when to say yes and when to say no. Whether it be personal activities, events, business opportunities, choosing a partner, choosing friends, how you do things, and etc.
You don’t want to see yourself be in trouble about the things you don’t care about and has nothing to do with your long term plans in life.
5. Become a better leader. Self awareness helps you get better because you now have the capacity to see how well you are doing. It helps you make rightful decisions because you know your blind spots. It helps you do great work, because you know where you lack expertise and know how to address problems.
This also helps you to tap into other peoeple’s way of thinking. A skill which you can use to manage people even better.
6. Minimal to zero stress. Since you know what you really want, things will become more enjoyable. Again, you don’t want to workout things that are built around your weaknesses.
You want to deal with the things you want, things you can enjoy. Take a look at those kids on the playground, they don’t seem to get tired playing all day. Guess why? It’s because they’re having fun!
Same thing if you’re self-aware, you won’t get tired and stressed out if you those things you enjoy.
Thank you for reading this far. Now, let me share you the website I’m talking about earlier. It’s called 16personalities.com. Try to take the quiz and be amazed how spot-on the results will be.
Here’s a tip. Try to answer the questions based on your past experiences. Focus on who you are than who you think you are. Try to get back here and let me know in the comments section if the result was accurate. See you! 🙂
So that’s it for now! I’m a bit busy with other stuff but I’ll try my best to share valuables twice every week. Don’t forget to share this with your friends if you find this helpful. Ciao!
You might want to read: