Having an online job in the Philippines and being able to work from home is a dream come true to many. However, despite having many advantages this work-from-home scheme can give you, there is still a list of disadvantages you need to consider.
These disadvantages can be a decision making factor for some people to drop the idea of getting an online job and start working from home. Here’s a list of disadvantages you need to consider if you’re planning to work from home.
7 Disadvantages of Having a Home Based Online Job in the Philippines
1. Communication Problems. One of the disadvantages of having an online job is you will face several communication problems. Time zone differences, culture differences, miscommunications, and etc.
Many people are not comfortable with online conferences. This is why some people prefer text chat over voice chat. Some people have this fear of seeing their own faces on the screen and it can be a big problem for them.
If you will be working with a team, it is much harder to build strong bonding and camaraderie online. This is very important specially for big projects where you will be working with other guys for a long term period.
2. Isolation. This one really depends on what type of personality you have. It’s okay for some people to get isolated for long hours but some people really can’t take this kind of situation.
If you’re an introvert, this may sound simple to you. But if you’re an extrovert, you might need to do something to get rid of the boredom. This can be very depressing for some people.
It’s easier for an employee to learn things while being with other co-employees. Typical office based employee can simply ask other people around about the nature and know-hows of the job. However, if you’ve managed to learn the skill how to learn and solve problems on your own you will have advantage over others.
Having no one around you may actually affect your performance as there is a less drive and push from other people. You need to be self-motivated in order for you to perform consistently.
Related Read: Small Business Ideas For Introverts and Shy People
3. Distractions. Although there are distractions from office based works, the distractions working from home is different and may even cause you more downtime.
Household noises such as television, washing machine, not just from your house but from your neighbors as well may distract you from your work. Most of the online jobs requires intensive thinking and therefore you need to get rid of the distractions to be able to focus on your work.
One of the things you can do in order to reduce the distractions from people around you is to get an exclusive room in your house where you can shut the door and damp down the outside noise. Talk with people around you regarding your sentiments so they can adjust too.
4. Never ending work. For the workaholics, you might fall for this trap of working beyond hours. There are some people who still work even if they’ve already worked for 8 hours already. The sad thing is it’s already for free.
Don’t force yourself too much to exceed the expectations of your clients. Don’t extend for 4-6 hours of unpaid work. Remember that your job will never end even if you work for 48 hours straight. You will still work for the next days, next week, next months, and it will never end.
Be careful to not make your employer think that your current performance is your baseline performance. If you perform below that (which should be your normal), your employer might think you’re having a poor performance. Be careful on these things. Get a life.
Wanted to get out of your current job and work from home instead? Read How to do Smooth Transition From Office Job to Online Job.
5. Too much life. Lifestyle is one of the main reasons why people want to get an online job. However, many people are taking advantage of this opportunity. Many people under-work and put too much time with their life activities.
This is okay if this is part of your agreement with your client/employer. However if this is not properly communicated, you are putting not just your employer at risk but you are putting your career at risk as well.
There are employers who will let you work for only 4 hours and do your thing even if the work is supposed to be 8 hours. Again, just make sure both sides agree with each other before taking any out-of-the-line actions.
6. You need to discipline yourself. This is both advantage and disadvantage. If you can discipline yourself without the push from other people then good for you. However, the problem is when you cannot discipline yourself.
If you work from home, no one is around. You don’t have your boss’ eyes on you and therefore there’s big chance for you to procrastinate. This will be a major problem that can cause you not to deliver your work on time.
One way to overcome this is to have an agreement with your client/employer that you will email an update report maybe every after 2 hours. Another workaround to this is to have a tracking software installed on your computer. These strategy will push you to work and keep all your to-do list updated.
7. You need to do extra work. Tax, Salary, Health Cards, Insurances, IDs and all are typically processed by the company’s HR. If you work from home, you process all of these on your own.
This is a disadvantage in terms of the effort and time but you can also look at it in a positive way. After processing all of these IDs, Cards, Insurances, and what not, you will have a better understanding of these things.
You will have more option for your insurances, tax, and health cards, and etc. Unlike if these things are to be processed by the HR of the company, many of the details are hidden from you.
If you might notice, the things listed here will only become disadvantages if you will not allow change in yourself. Looking from another perspective, these things can become advantages if you are willing to improve yourself and become flexible in many aspects.
That’s it! These are the evident disadvantages of having an online job. If you have something else to add, say it in the comments section below and let’s discuss about it!
If you’re friends are interested to work at home, share this to them on Facebook! Thanks for your time reading!
You might want to read: