You’ve seen all those new year’s resolutions posted on your friends timeline but do they really stick to it? You might see your friends doing their resolutions for quite some time but after couple of weeks, they’re back to their usual activities. Here are some list of familiar new year’s resolution people make but usually broken.
- Lose Weight
- Quite Smoking
- Quit Drinking
- Get out of debt
- Save money
- Start a business
- Eat healthy foods
- Get organized
- Never be late in work or school
- Stop procrastinating
- Improve relationship
- Have better sleep
- Spend less time on social media
- Spend less time watching TV
These are the promises you usually heard from your friends, relatives, or even from yourself but they end up doing nothing at all. Here’s why new year’s resolutions don’t work and what you should do in order to achieve those.
1. People don’t plan about it. If your new year’s resolution is to put up a business, you need to create an action plan. Will your business be selling goods or selling services? What particular product or service are you selling? Who are your target customers? When are you going to start? What else do you need? What’s your target income for this year? and so on.
Say if your new year’s resolution is to eat healthy foods for next year, again, you need to make a plan! Do you have a healthy menu good for a week, a month, or a year? Who will cook those foods? Will it cost you more that your previous lifestyle? and etc.
Remember that you are half way your new year’s resolution if you have it well planned.
2. People forget it easily. Most people forget their new year’s resolutions easily. What you should do is to make all the possible means to remember your promises. Here are some things you might want to do to remind yourself of your resolutions always
- Put it as wallpaper on your phone.
- Have it listed on room’s wall
- Meditate on it before and after going to sleep
3. No will power. This is one of the most important part of achieving any goal, in this case, your new year’s resolution. Most of the people are lazy to do productive things and they rather procrastinate. However, in order to achieve your goals you need to execute it and to start executing it you need will power.
Here’s what you can do to push yourself to execute your plans.
One is to join those people who share the same goal as you. Remember the saying “Birds of the same feather, flock together”? This is a team effort of achieving the same goal. When one is down, there are still other people left to pull you up when you feel like procrastinating.
Another thing you can do to increase your will power is to exercise meditation. This can give you the skill to simply dump away all the negative feelings and thoughts coming your way in achieving your new year’s resolution. This is a powerful tool as it can be used in many different areas of life as well.
“If you feel like giving up, remember why you started”
That’s it! I hope you get something valuable in this post for achieving your new year’s resolution. If you have something to add, just hit the comment below and let’s talk about it. 🙂