Anybody in a corporate setting wants to get a raise and wants to get a promotion. You don’t want to be just one of the commoners. You want to excel in the things you do so you’ll not be on the top of the list to get laid off whenever recession occurs. In this post, we’ll show you effective tips how to impress your boss and get promoted fast at work.
There are different types of bosses and what we will tackle here is general truth that applies to all. First of all, all businesses exist because of one thing, profit. Any business without profit is not business and is nonsense. This should be your guide in climbing up the corporate ladder.
So Here’s 10 Career Tips on How to Impress Your Boss To Get a Promotion
1. Present solutions not problems. This is where most employees fail. Whenever they encounter problems, what they do is present the problems to their boss and let their boss solve the problems. Wrong! If you want to expedite the process of your promotion, always remember this tip. You should always configure your brain to this setting: Whenever you encounter problems, don’t tell the problem to your boss right away. Instead, try to provide solutions to the problem, present them, and give recommendations to your boss.
This way, your boss will be able to see that you have the initiative to solve the problem and you have the capability to make decisions based on your recommendations. This is a definite plus for you and your career.
2. Learn how to market yourself. Let’s admit it. There are times that you think you are better than that guy who received the promotion. Well, it’s a sad story but here’s the thing: For you to be able to climb up the corporate ladder and get promoted fast, you need to sell yourself.
The most ethical way to sell yourself is to participate in teams and do something extraordinary that will benefit the company. Next is to boast about it through data and reports. You should learn how to make your works stand out from other employees. Make the company realize the you are an asset that cannot be replaced by anybody.
3. Show leadership qualities. One of the things that you need to have is the leadership qualities. Why? Because at some point in time, you’ll handle other employees as well. You need to consistently show your boss that you have the leadership qualities needed for higher positions.
4. Be Proactive. If you’re just new to the company, there’s a big chance that your boss will only teach you the bare minimum knowledge for you to execute your work properly. For you to be able to learn more, you need to be proactive. Sometimes you need to learn what other people are doing in order to fully understand your work. Show your boss the willingness to learn and work with extra effort to help you grow in your career quickly.
5. Treat your company as your own business. Most of the commoner employees will think that they are only to work for a company other people owns. They are there for their salary and that’s it! End of the story. However, if you’ll be able to treat everything in your company as your own business, you’ll work differently. You’ll put love on what you do and add extra effort to achieve things
6. Ask for more responsibilities. Work fast and ask for more responsibilities. Show your boss that you can do more than what’s written in your job description. This way, you are increasing your value within the organization. This way, if you as for more responsibilities, you are showing your interest and desire to help the company achieve its gold and become successful.
7. Be the Go-to guy. Try to become famous in a manner that everybody will recall your name for things that only you can do in the organization. If you’ve got the skills, you can be the hottest or sought-after employee, if you will, from the management’s perspective if you keep on riding on “hot problems”. If you can provide solution to the hottest problems in the company, the eyes are on you.
FYI, I’ve been into production and this one is an effective way to get the attention of the management.
8. Learn the politics in the organization. Whether you like it or not, there’s always politics in every company. There are even those who have the so called “crab mentality” who don’t want you to climb up the corporate ladder. Instead, they will pull you down and
9. Continuous self development. What you know now will depreciate later in the future. Always invest in yourself new skills, new technologies, strategies, new perspective that will keep your value higher than anybody else in the organization.
10. Be emotionally stable. Show your boss that you can work under pressure, that you can still be emotionally and mentally stable whatever situation you are in. Show your boss that you can still smile after all the urgent requests and tasks needed to be done. Don’t be mistaken on this one. What you need to do here is to be stable not just on the outside but on the inside as well.
11. Think like your boss. Bosses have their different ways how they do things. One way to actually know what you need in order to get your promotion faster is to think like your boss. Try to wear your boss’s hat and ask yourself: “If I’m the boss, what do I need from my people in order for them to climb up the organization and be promoted”.
12. Help your boss in his promotion. Sometimes, what hinders your promotion is because there is someone sitting in the position you’re about to takeover. What you can do is to push that guy higher in order for your to empty that position and take over it. I hope that makes sense.
So that’s it! These are my career advice on how you can climb your way up your organization. If you find this helpful and valuable, share it with your workmates and friends! If you got more tips to share, let’s talk it down on the comments section below! 🙂
- Top 20 Online Jobs in Philippines That Are In-Demand in Upwork
- Top 14 Work From Home Online Jobs in the Philippines (Earn Big)
- Top 14 Sites Where You Can Apply Online Job in the Philippines