NBI Clearance is one of the essential government documents in kick-starting your career. Whether you just stepped in to the world of adulting, or currently searching for a greener pasture, acquiring this paper is mandatory.
All the requirements, fees, and other things you need to know to apply or renew your NBI Clearance are in this guide. You can get your NBI Clearance Online by just following the step-by-step process in this post. All you gotta do is be patient and take action, my friend. (galaw lang! para sa ekonomiya!)
All First time NBI Clearance applicants are advised to register online and have their appointment date set in advance.
Thanks to technology, the NBI application process now is more streamlined and more efficient as compared to the previous crazy long queuing lines back then.
Here’s how process has been and how it is now:
Registration for NBI Clearance Online is plain and simple. Just open your browsers then carefully read and follow the instructions written in this guide and you’ll get what you need.
If you already have an old NBI Clearance released 2014 onward this is for you: How to Renew NBI Clearance Online Quick and Simple.
NBI Clearance Online Application 2019
(Just click on any link to jump on a particular section in this guide)
What is NBI Clearance?
NBI clearance is a government certificate which you can get upon request through NBI’s online appointment system. This certificate ensures that you’re cleared and has not been involved in any criminal act. This is accepted as a valid document in the Philippines and can also be use for other legitimate identification purposes.
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) clearance is a way for people like employers to tell if there have been criminal cases filed against you in the Philippine courts. This can also be a supporting document for your passport application. Its scope covers the entire Philippines in contrast to Police Clearance which is limited only to a particular locality.
Similar to the police clearance, NBI Clearance has a validity period of one year. Of course, the validity of the certificate will not last a lifetime for the reason that you might get involved in a criminal case.
FOR FRESH GRAD: Under Republic Act 11261 or the “First-Time Job Seekers Assistance Act”, you can get certain government documents for free if you’re a first-time job seeker.
NBI clearance is typically used for the following purposes:
- Local Employment
- Correction of Birthdate
- Travel Abroad
- Business Requirement
- Permit to Carry Firearms
Previously, you need to specify on your application which purpose you are going to use it. Today, the government made it multi-purpose and now the application fee is priced at P130 fixed. (Effective March 12, 2018 and valid up to date)
Prepare NBI Clearance Requirements
To process your NBI Clearance smoothly, you need to prepare the following requirements ahead of time:
- Valid and active Email Address (e.g [email protected])
- Prepare one (1) Valid ID
- Application fee of One Hundred Thirty Pesos (Php 130)
- Old NBI Clearance with NBI ID Number (This is for NBI Renewal)
1. You need an active Email Address.
If you are a first-timer applying for an NBI Clearance, you need to register first to NBI Online Service Website. To register, you need an email address.
Just in case you don’t have one yet, you can easily register an account in gmail here.
2. Prepare one (1) Valid ID.
Just like many other private or government transaction, you need at least 1 valid ID for your application. Still, we recommend to bring at least two (2) just in case the NBI staffs ask for further verification.
If you’re not aware what identification card to bring, here’s a list of Philippine valid IDs you can for your requirement:
- Voter’s ID
- SSS ID
- PRC License
- Postal ID
- Driver’s License
- GSIS UMID
- School ID
- Alien Certificate of Registration
- Tax Identification Number (TIN) ID
- NSO Authenticated Birth Certificate
- Senior Citizen Card
- Here’s a full list of accepted valid IDs
During your NBI application in NBI Online Services Website, you will decide what government-issued ID you will bring.
3. Prepare the amount you need to pay for NBI Clearance.
The amount you need to pay in requesting for an NBI Clearance is Php 130. If you prefer to use any supported e-payment system, like 7-eleven payment, there’s an additional fee of Php 25.
4. You need Old NBI Clearance for Renewal.
Just in case you already have an old or expired NBI Clearance, you need the NBI ID in order to renew your NBI Clearance faster. You can continue your NBI renewal by following this instruction instead.
let’s now move on the the step-by-step process.
Step 1 – NBI Online Registration (Signing Up an Account).
To get an NBI Clearance online for the first time, you need to register an account using NBI’s Online service webpage. Don’t worry, it’s free and there’s nothing you need to pay. This step is only about creating an account and entering all the necessary information needed to process your NBI Clearance.
No need to panic. This is easy as A-B-C. Just keep this page open and carefully follow the procedures written here.
1. Go to NBI Online Services Website. First of all, you need to go to the NBI Clearance Application website page. For your convenience, you can simply click here: https://clearance.nbi.gov.ph/
You’ll enter a website that looks like this:
Focus on the right side of the website and accomplish the form.
2. First Time or Renewal. Choose between “Yes” or “No” depending whether you currently have an Old NBI Clearance with you or not.
If it’s your first time applying for an NBI clearance, you need to check the NO checkbox as shown below.
If you have an old NBI Clearance, proceed with the following NBI renewal form:
3. Check and Proceed. Double check all the information you entered and click “I ACCEPT TERMS OF SERVICE” checkbox. Next is to hit the “SIGN UP” button to continue your NBI Online Registration.
Note: Please remember the password you used in your account. You will be using it more than once so if you don’t want extra troubles, better save it for future use.
If you forgot your password, you can always recover by simply clicking on the “Forgot Password?” link on the log-in form.
That’s it! Once you finished your account registration, you can now login using your email and password. On the upper right corner of the nbi online application website, type in the email and password you previously entered.
You can now proceed to the next process.
Step 2 – Filling Out NBI Clearance Online Application Form
1. Fill out the Application form. You need patience in this part because you will be asked to fill out the application form.
Just enter all the information needed and make sure to double check the accuracy of every information. (Relax ka lang beh mamaya tapos mo na din yan)
Once you’re done, simply hit the “SAVE INFORMATION” button.
NOTE: If you find something wrong with the information you entered, don’t panic. You can simply hit “Edit Information” to edit information and make changes.
After filling out all the information needed, you will be redirected to a summary page similar to the image above.
2. Apply For Clearance. Once you reviewed all the information you entered, you can now hit “APPLY FOR CLEARANCE”.
Next, you need to indicate what ID you will present on your appointment date.
Step 3 – Set NBI Online Appointment Schedule
You will be prompted to schedule your appointment. Here’s a sample screenshot and a straight forward procedure you can follow:
1. Select Appointment Branch. You need to select the nearest NBI branch where you will be getting your NBI Clearance. You can either type or scroll until you see the NBI branch you’re looking for.
2. Select Date and Time. Next is to select the date and time of your appointment with NBI. You need to choose between AM or PM.
Just click the date (AM or PM) you want to process your NBI and it will be reflected on Appointment Schedule on the right side of the panel. See the image below for reference.
Step 4 – NBI Application Fee Payment
1. Ready your application fee. Multipurpose Clearance has an updated fee of P130.00 plus an additional fee of P25 for using the e-payment system.
2. Choose your preferred payment method. There are several payment options you can choose from. Use whatever you are most comfortable with:
Most of us can access 7-Eleven branches where we can pay our fees. So for this example, we will choose 7-Eleven as our payment method.
3. Choose 7-Eleven. Hit “7-Eleven” and you will see the following pop-ups. Just click on each and every one of them to proceed.
Click “Proceed” and another pop-up will appear.
Click “Proceed to payment” and you will see.
5. Pay via 7-Eleven Cliqq Kiosk. Save this reference number and go to any 7-Eleven branch to pay. You can always ask the cashier for assistance.
Here’s an easy and quick guide you can follow for 7-Eleven Payment for NBI Clearance.
6. Verify Transaction. Your transaction details will change from “Pending” to “Paid” after your 7-Eleven payment has been processed. Keep the receipt until the day of your appointment for safety and confirmation purposes.
To check the status of your transaction, go back to NBI Clearance Online services website and click the “Transactions” tab.
Step 5 – Processing Your NBI Clearance on the appointment day
1. On your NBI appointment day, personally go to the NBI branch you entered in your application.
2. Bring the ID you previously entered in your application. Bring extra valid IDs in case they need more for further verification.
3. Dress properly and make sure to look neat. Do not bring any prohibited items that may cause you trouble.
4. Don’t forget your NBI online application Reference Number and bring your Receipt.
5. At the NBI Office, ask the guards, staffs, or people there so you will not waste time waiting for nothing.
Always remember that if you’re not certain about your actions, do not hesitate to ask the NBI Staffs there.
Ang taong mapagtanong, daig ang marunong.
Step 6 – Biometrics and Picture taking
1. Find the window for biometrics. The NBI staff will ask you to take a picture and assist you in fingerprint scanning.
(Bes, sinabihan kita na magayos bago pumunta at mag picture picture. Kapag mukha kang kriminal sa picture taking mo, huwag mo ko sisihin ha. Labyu.)
2. Next, you will have your NBI Clearance printed. You just need to wait a little bit to finally get your NBI clearance.
3. You are done! Hooray! Selfie selfie with your NBI Clearance!!
1. What do I need to know about HIT?
This is a rare case when you request for an NBI clearance and you got a “hit” status. Most people are not aware of this but it can cause delay in releasing your NBI Clearance immediately.
There are times people applying for NBI Clearance have same name with another person (Aba! si tukayo!). However, that person with the same name as yours has a criminal case or warrant of arrest. (Yun lang)
There’s no need to worry if you know to yourself that you don’t have any criminal liability. Your NBI clearance will be released right away.
People with HIT status will undergo NBI Quality Control just to verify and prove that they are not the person with the criminal case.
You will be guided accordingly if so happen that you indeed have a criminal case. You can simply ask the lawyer conducting the Quality Control Interview.
Here’s a post for more details about getting a Hit on your NBI Clearance.
2. How long does it take to get my NBI clearance online?
It depends on your scheduled appointment. Since there are more applicants during afternoon, it’s better to set a morning schedule and be at the NBI branch early. If you don’t to encounter a long queuing line, better be there around 30 minutes in advanced.
For first time NBI application, you can get your NBI Clearance typically around 20 minutes upon arrival. However, there are many factors that affects the number of applicants such as traffic, rain, maintenance, system error, or what not. Better be early on the day of your appointment.
For those who applied for NBI Quick Renewal, you can get your NBI clearance delivered around 3 to 5 days from the time of payment.
3. Is NBI clearance needed for Passport Application?
No, NBI is not accepted as valid ID for passport application. However, you might need it for further verification or may serve as supporting document when the need arise.
If you’re applying for a passport, you can check this guide on how to apply for DFA Passport. All the things you needed are already there.
4. Can I Apply for NBI clearance as a walk-in applicant?
Again, you cannot apply for NBI Clearance as a walk-in applicant anymore. However, just in case you’re already at the NBI Office, there are some NBI offices that allows applicants to use their wifi or computer with internet connection to set an appointment.
You might also need these: