Being poor is not really directly related to money and I already explained my reasons why in the post My Personal Ideas of Being Rich. Being poor has something to do with your lifestyle, with your mindset, your discipline, and other things related.
In this post, I’ll try to show you some of the signs that your are still currently having a poor financial life. These are the traits that many people can’t seem to get away from. Let’s just start the real talk.
10 Signs That You Are Currently Having A Poor Financial Life:
1. You always get excited to buy when you see a 70% off-the-tag “SALE”. If you are still enticed by the ever wallet-magnetizing off-the-tag sales on the malls then you better change it now.
How? You should always have your budget plan and you need to stick to it faithfully. Impulsive buying can be avoided if you have the self control and discipline.
2. You’re very emotional about money matters. One of the evident reasons why couples and close relatives in the Philippines fight with each other. One thing we should realize is that the relationship with our loved ones is more important than anything money-related: debt, daily expenses, and etc. Debt can be settled with a DAS, expenses can be cut short, etc. Family comes first.
There’s no good reason to be very emotional about money alone.
3. You don’t have the slightest idea how to generate other sources of income. If you’re somebody who only relies with one source of income then you might end up miserable in your coming years.
If you’re only getting funds from your day job and not preparing for the future, you better start thinking and taking action now.
4. You don’t take responsibility for the things that’s happening in your life. These are the kinds of people who keep on complaining about anything and everything. Don’t be one of them because they are the ones that hard to handle. If you think you’re like this, one way to overcome this is to learn how think differently and learn how to look from different perspectives. Don’t just end up presenting and thinking about the problem, think about the solution!
5. You don’t have time to learn new things. Are you always busy to learn new things? I doubt. Maybe you just don’t know how to prioritize and manage your time. Your office works will never end, believe me. With that said, don’t go overtime in your office. Instead, allot time to learn new things that will improve your current situation.
One of the problems we don’t see is that we’re blinded by the current things we do. We need to take some time for our self development. Just think of yourself as an investment. The value of what you currently know today will depreciate and you need to learn more new things to keep your value high.
6. You’re not acknowledging your weaknesses and your pride prevents you to ask others for help. Grow up! If you can’t do a certain task, ask for help. I hate how this thing is planted in our minds since when we’re young. We tend to keep silent for the things we don’t know and that keeps us ignorant for the rest of our lives. I’d rather look stupid for a while asking questions then be knowledgeable for the rest of my life. Others just want to look smart but they actually know nothing.
7. You don’t know your priorities and the things that are important to you. You don’t have your short term and long term plans for your future. You’re doing things that are not inline with your goal because you don’t have any GOALs! You don’t make plans in the first place.
8. You’re always afraid of trying out new things. Just because you get used to something, you’ll stick with it for the rest of your life. We need constant improvement whether it be in terms of health, expenses, the way you communicate, the consumables in your house, your perspective in life and etc.
9. You always compare yourself with others. Are you not on the trend? Don’t worry, you don’t need to. Don’t go broke and hungry just to be trendy. A lot of millennials now are practicing this kind of lifestyle, “Tiis Ganda”. I’d rather buy a local phone that satisfies my needs than buy an iPhone (without load) just for the sake of social climbing purposes, and have nothing to eat.
10. You cannot easily get away with your problems. This is sign of poor problem solving skills. There are a lot of people who cannot get away their minds from the problems they’re facing and as a result, they get more stressed. You should train your emotion and mind to accept things that everything is just part of a process that needs to happen towards the things you are aiming for.
You might also want to read: Spending Habits Filipinos Need to Break