I’ve been hearing the term Millenials for more than around 3 years now and it seems that this generation will still make noise in the coming years. So I thought of creating a post about them and break all down the details of who these Millenials are, what they do, and what is up with them.
What Does the term “Millennials” Really Mean
The meaning of the word Millennial is simply a person reaching or who have reached adulthood around year 2000. So Millennials is really just about the group of people who were born at a specific range of year.
What made the term Millennial so popular is the common characteristics of people in this age range has. Whenever people hear the word Millennial today, there are positive but apparently more negative impressions the word implies.
Later in this post, we will talk about some the most talked-about characteristics and traits a Millennial has.
Millennials Generation Age Range
There are no precise dates when this group of people starts or ends but demographers and researchers typically use the years between late 1970s and early 2000s. Millennials are also called the Generation Y and Generation Me.
Millennials Traits and Characteristics
One thing people need to understand is that many millennials lived in the transition period of analog to digital. This digital era is one big factor how millennials think and act.
Here are some of the characteristics of Millenials in different areas of life.
1. Millenials are Lazy. If a work can be typically done in a day by previous employees, a millennial will think of a shortcut to get the job done with much lesser time and spend the rest of the time.
They will not work in certain way things done just because “it’s always been that way”. They will find a more efficient way to get things done.
Lazy? Yes. Lazy but smarter.
2. They want more freedom. In terms of life and work many, millennials want more freedom. They will do things the way they want as long as it will not compromise the quality of their work.
They want more time for their their families, friends, activities, hobbies, and etc and they value these things more than career.
3. Millennials are more independent. Millennials who grew up with internet connection is likely to become more independent. They grew up with tools they used to search for information so they seek less guidance from their peers.
The bad side this thing might bring is the tendency for millennials to rely more on what they know and not listen to other people’s suggestions.
4. Passion Matters. Many Millennials are happier following their passion. This what makes millennials so ambitious. They want to become successful on the things they want in life.
5. Risk Takers. Since most of the people in this generation has access to information, they are aware of many opportunities out there. This makes millennials more open to try new things and take risks to put up their own businesses.
6. Intelligent Generation. There’s no doubt that millennial people can be the most intelligent generation. Because of the internet and many technological advances, the power to learn anything they want is at their fingertips.
7. Global awareness. This generation is the one with global awareness. They have the access to what’s happening on the other side of the globe.
Ease of learning different culture, latest global trends, the environment, politics, and economics is what makes a millennial very competitive in term of business and life.
8. Millennials are more open minded. They are more open in accepting all kinds of people no matter what the color of their skin is, how they dress, or what their religion is. Millennials are more accepting whatever differences people may have.
Hearing the word millennial sounds negative to me at first and I don’t want to be called as one. But since I also belong in this generation, I’ve researched a bit and found out that most of those negative impressions about millennials are just misunderstandings.
If there are stubborn and toxic millennials, I believe it’s a matter of attitude problem and improper upbringing. We cannot simply just generalize people because we all have our differences.
I learned a lot while writing this post and although this millennial thing is not new, I hope I still shared something new to you.
If you have some comments, reactions, agreements or disagreements, let’s talk it down the comments section below. Feel free to share this to your friends.