Do you want your sons and daughters be the next Philippine’s Business Tycoons? Be the light to your children! Guide and raise your kids to become entrepreneurs and become successful someday.
There are bunch of talented kids we have here in Philippines but sadly, the school system doesn’t seem to help our kids grow their crafts. If you see your kids have passion for something, do amazing things that can make a difference, do things that can someday solve world problems, then as a parent, you have the responsibility to guide and support them.
But before you can actually teach your kids to be entrepreneurs, you as a parent should realize these things that are happening in our society:
1. Most courses offered in schools won’t make them think like entrepreneurs. It will only make them think like employees. Think of “on-the-job-traning”. This part of the curriculum limits the thinking of your kids that after they finished schooling, they will go that path.
Think about this.
If you’re an entrepreneur and think like an entrepreneur, you don’t do accounting, you hire an accountant.
Did you see some light? I hope you did.
2. Media is programming your kids to go with the “herd” or the norm. The belief system, the practices, and etc. Media always promote that if you want to be successful in life, you need to go to school, get a good degree, and you will land a good job.
3. Most of the biggest names in the business world did not graduate from college.
4. People are programmed to think that having your own business is a risky decision to take, that most of the people who started doing business failed. This creates the fear for people to not create their own business and go against the normal flow.
5. You as a parent should accept the fact that in one way or another, you were once victimized by this slave-making-system. Now that you’re reading this, we’re hopeful that this post will open your mind so that you can guide your kids to the path of being entrepreneurs.
Whatever your children encounter in school, you should interfere and filter the negative programs being injected to them.
6. There are bunch of other things you need to realize you can do your own research regarding these matters. The point here is that you need to make sure that your child will not be raised with the same thinking as others.
To teach your kids entrepreneurship, you just need to raise them in a slightly different way that most parents do. So here is it.
Things you can do to raise Filipino kids to be entrepreneurs:
1. Encourage them to ask questions. Sadly, many Filipino people now are having this kind of mentality that “if you ask questions, you are dumb.” This is why many people now who instead of asking questions, they keep the questions to themselves which make them more ignorant. You better filter this kind of mentality from your kids.
Don’t Let this happen to your child. There’s are Filipino sayings that “Matalino ang batang mapagtanong” (Intelligent is a child who asks questions) and “Ang taong mapagtanong, daig ang marunong” (The inquisitive person surpassed the wise).
These words are just true. Asking is a form of active learning and this kind of learning results to a better retention. If your child ask you a question, answer his question then again ask you child something like “aren’t you going to ask why? or how?” or some other sort of followup questions. This way, you are programming your child to not just simply ask questions but you are programming your child to verify the answers as well.
Give your child scenarios that are new to them. This will make them think of the whats, whys and hows of A,B,C, and etc. You might want to give them valuable rewards if they got it right to encourage them to think more. Remember, keep your child always hungry for knowledge and encourage them to try new things.
2. Teach your child how to ask for help. Again, this is closely related to #1 but this is a bit different. Teach your child that if he cannot do a particular thing, the initial response should be to ask somebody who knows how to do that thing. Kids are in their learning stage where they need guidance. As a parent, you should help your child as much as possible BUT here are some points to remember:
- Don’t spoon-feed them. Show them how to do it. Once they’ve seen it, let them try it on their own with your guidance.
- Praise them if necessary to boost their confidence.
- Ask them questions like “Can you think of better way to do this or that?”
Remember this proverb “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime”. It is always worthwhile to teach your kids to do something than do it for them.
3. Teach them the importance and value of Teamwork. Let your kids know that not all the time, they can do every thing alone. Teach them that if they want to achieve big dreams, teamwork is necessary. Tell them they may be able to build their own house but they cannot create a high building alone or it may take them a lifetime.
It is also good in the biblical standpoint:
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12King James Version (KJV)
9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. 10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. 11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? 12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken
4. Teach them how to be creative and analyze things. Always encourage your kids to try new things. Let them experiment on ideas and show them that learning can really be fun. You can send your kids to go music class and play instruments. Learning how to play piano, for example, can really boost your kids’ analytical and creativity skills while having fun.
Another thing you can help your kids improve skills while having fun is by providing them physical and digital games that touches creativity and analysis. One of the most famous toys that promotes creativity is Lego and other similar toys.
Have your walls bunch of interesting arts and other crafts. Tell your kids your favorite musician, artist, and scientists. Always ask them challenging “what if” questions that will push them to analyze situations.
5. Teach them how to save money. Being rich is not about how much money you are earning but it is about how much money you keep. You should teach your kids to not spend more than what they are earning, or else they will be in debt their whole lives.
You should teach them not to invest on things that loses value as time goes by. You should teach them to invest on things such as education, new skills and other self development stuffs they can use to earn money. You can start teaching them how to save money through their allowances.
6. Teach them how to learn from their mistakes & learn to accept rejections. You should tell your kids that not everyone and everything will work their way. Teach them to anticipate the worst case scenario and set solutions for those cases.
Practice your kids to commit mistakes and fail. Yes, fail. Kids who are not afraid of making mistakes and not afraid of what other people say are the ones who can handle risks and are emotionally stable. Teach them to learn on their mistake and laugh about it later.
7. Teach them how to be good at public speaking. Your kids don’t need to do what adults entrepreneur do. Simply exposing them in an environment where they can express their thoughts is a good place to start to learn public speaking. Let your child join other kids while playing on the playground and do some story telling activities. Simply having your child exposed in story telling or reporting type of activities will get away shyness and build confidence instead.
8. Teach them how to lead others. Your kids should learn how to motivate others to achieve a common goal. This skill can be acquired from you, the parent. Set a good example! If you are a father, you should be the leader in your family. You set goals for the the family, create budget (for moms), plans for leisure activities, etc. It will be automatic for your kids to be a good leader to.
Here are some skills and attitude you might want to impart your children to be good leaders.
Initiative, Consistency, Teamwork, Strategy, Planning, Perseverance, Decision making, and Good Communication.
11. Teach them how to sell. One of the biggest part of every business is selling. Any good company with good products or services, if not able to sell is good as nothing. The main point of making business is to create profit and if you cannot make any profit then what do you call your business? Charity?
This skill is where most people laugh at but are not good at. It has been injected to people’s mind that if you’re selling something, you are in a lowly situation which is a big no. Not all people have this skill but once you have this, it can be applied not just in business but in other aspects of life as well.
You might be interested in: How to make money online in philippines
12. Teach them problem solving. Entrepreneurship is about solving other people’s problems. You may want to give your kids quizzes and puzzles to solve. Think of Sudoku, jigsaw puzzles, rubicks cube, and etc. Playing computer games can also help them increase their problem solving skills. But be picky on what computer games they will play as there are computer games that only wastes your kids precious time.
Learning math is really a fun way of learning how to solve a problem. Let your child learn the value of math by showing them what they can do if they know math. You can also let your child learn problem solving through physics problems and a lot more.
Problem solving added with creativity is the ore of innovations. If you hone your kids’ skills on these, they will have a big advantage over others.
- Why it is okay to not have any college Degree