Today is the time where every entrepreneur needs to get serious about building their businesses’ brands. Try to name ten successful companies you know. Guess what? You’re able to retain the names of these companies in your head because of one thing, branding. There are bunch of opportunities if you’re able build a good brand for you business. That’s what we’ll be talking about in this article, strategies on how to effectively market your brand.
But before we get into that, let’s try to discuss a bit some typical misconceptions about branding and the meaning of what branding really is.
Typical misconceptions about branding:
Brand is not the logo, advertising, marketing strategy, corporate identity, or other things similar. Though these things are vital part of building up your brand, these shouldn’t be your business’ end goal. Later, we’ll discuss deeper the meaning of what branding is and how you can use it effectively to grow your business.
You should keep in mind that brand is part of a business and every business’ goal is to make profits. Therefore, you should not build your brand in such a way that you’re not going to make any profits. (unless you’re doing charity)
Brand is not something you can build overnight. It’s not even a one-shot deal that you can simply set-and-forget. There’s a continuous effort involved in building your business’ brand. Whether you’re a big or small business owner, it doesn’t matter.
Branding can be used not just on products and services. It can also be used for people, place, band, group, and etc.
So what really is branding?
Branding is all about perception.
It’s not your own perception about your business rather, it’s other people’s perception, your customers perception about your business, get it? Branding is about the associated feelings, emotions, words, actions, in your business that is marked on peoples minds.
It’s not necessarily that because you are aiming for a certain image for your business, that will be the same perception people will have, no. You need to have a good strategy to relay the message to people on how you want your business to be remembered.
Branding is about perception, about creating, managing and building a desirable perception within your target market. The stronger people perceive your business to be the solution to a particular problem, the better.
When people are using your brand name as a verb, you’re doing a great job.
here are some examples:
“Google it” means to search something using Google.
“Photoshop that picture” is to edit the image using Photoshop.
“Put it on the Fridge” means to put it on the Frigidaire refrigerator. (Fridge is a colloquial term for Frigidaire, a brand of refrigerator)
“Skype your loved ones” chat your loved ones using Skype.
In summary, the goal of your brand should always result to..
Simple, right? yet so complex. To be able to build your brand, below are some advice and strategies you can use in your marketing.
10 Effective Brand Marketing Strategy For Small Businesses
1. Determine your Unique Selling Proposition. In a very noisy marketing world, you need to provide something that stands out from the crowd. Having a unique selling proposition can give you an instant identity that separates you from everybody else.
2. Find your Core Audience. When starting your brand awareness campaign, you need to identify who your audience are. Do not run generic advertisements for it will only be a waste of time and money. You identify the group of people where your voice will be heard. To find an audience who really cares about what you are saying, here are some helpful information you need to identify:
- You need to understand the problem you are solving.
- Find your target market’s demographics, social status, and interests.
- Your competitor’s customers.
3. Build a community. Once you’ve found your core audience, another thing you can do is to build a community for your business. This way, you’ll be able to put your prospects in a more engaged and in a ready-to-take-action state of mind.
4. Have a brand consistency. In terms of values, quality, language, experience, appearance, and other major factors that contributes to your brand image, be consistent on those areas. Consistency is a way to make your brand feel more dependable. Your actions deliver stronger messages compared to what you are simply voicing out. You need to be careful not to send confusing signals to your customers or they might find your brand not trustworthy.
5. Give extra value to your customers. Continuously giving value to your customers can invoke reciprocity. For example: If you have a barbershop, you can always add extra value by simply talking with the customer while doing the haircut. Just make sure to find the right topic to talk about. Simply exchanging stories and opinions that are within the interest of your customers can make them feel at ease. You can even do a quick massage once the haircut is done. This can increase your customers retention and therefore a sustainable business.
You need to be creative on how you can give extra value to your customers. You can always research and try new things what’s working and what’s not. If you become successful in your campaign, people may reciprocate either through Loyalty, Trust, Patronage, Purchases, and Referrals.
6. Brand Marketing through content. Since branding is about associating feelings, emotions, ideas, etc, to your business, your product, to you, content marketing is one way to relay that message to your customers. You can use a blog section in your website to give your audience the things they’re looking for and other things they want.
Through content, you can give information about you, your business, about your process, your mission, your core beliefs, and other things so that your business, products, services will be remembered. Remember that you need to be transparent in everything you tell to your audience. This way, by giving extra value through content, you’ll be able to trigger that reciprocity which is a vital part in building your brand.
7. Create a brand tagline or slogan. Another element of successful brands are the brand taglines and slogans. Taglines and slogans should support you in positioning yourself on you want customers remember you and your business. Here are some examples from the well known brands:
“Just do it” – Nike
“Think different” – Apple
“I’m lovin’ it” – McDonalds
“Melt’s in your mouth, Not in your hands” – M&M
“We’ve got it all for you” – SM
“We find ways” – BDO
“Hari ng Padala” – LBC
“Bida ang Sarap” – Jolibee
“We’re changing lives” – PLDT
Here’s a formula you can use for your compelling tagline:
- Brand taglines should be short
- Make it catchy and memorable
- Plan for long term use
- Claims should be well supported
- Conveys a single, simple, and straightforward message
8. Use Social Networks. Social media has been the cheapest yet effective way to market your brand and connect with your customers. Although other social media networks such as Instagram and Pinterest are also good ways to build brand, it really depends what fits your business.
Providing valuable and shareable content can expedite everything in your campaign. If you’re finding your core audience and creating a community, social media is the way to go. You should remember that every single piece of content should support your brand image. You can always use textual and visual contents. You can use memes, quotes, videos, and etc.
Another thing is to Leverage the influencers in your target market. You can mention their names or tag them so their audiences will be able to notice you. You can even email them to share your content or do partnership with them to build your brand.
Cheap yet high return ad campaigns is where facebook shines. Research well your market so you’ll be able to effectively run your advertisements. Do some AB tests and once you’ve managed to run a high converting ad, set a regular budget for that campaign to continuously gain audience at lowest cost possible.
I hope this article have been helpful for you and if so, you’re free to share it with your friends! If you got something cool to share, let’s talk it on the comments section below.