This is par of the article Legit ways to make money online. If you have read my post on What is affiliate marketing and how it works, this post will be your beginner’s guide to help you to get started as an affiliate marketer. If you’ve get the idea of what affiliate marketing is all about, then you can move on to this learn more how affiliate marketing works. If you also got zero knowledge on blogging yet, don’t worry I’ll give you beginner tips so that you wont get lost.
Tip: When promoting products, be honest. Don’t spam and scam as it will only scare away your readers.
To summarize the basic steps in affiliate marketing, here’s a list of process to give you the overview:
- Pick a topic or niche
- Find a product you want to promote on your website or other means.
- Build a website
- Create relevant contents for your website
- Create traffic on your website
Pretty straight forward, right? These are just the fundamentals to get you to the point you are actually earning your first commissions. In the later part of this article, we’ll dig a bit deeper and more detailed.
Let me remind you again that this kind of business is not for impatient people and losers. Don’t fall into the beginner’s trap where you hear other people saying that it is easy to start affiliate marketing and earn online. Yes it is easy but only after you establish the skills and the tools you needed but at this point, where you’re just starting, patience is a must.
Moving on to our next section, we’ll begin looking into the details of the listed steps above.
1. How to pick a topic or niche
Again, a Niche is subset of a market in which a specific or narrow range of products are focused.
Basically, finding a niche is the most important topic and can be the determining factor whether you will earn or not. Finding a niche requires effort to research whether the topic can be monetize or not. To help you you on your first affiliate marketing niche, we listed below the important factors you need to consider in order to find a profitable niche so you can start promoting affiliate products.
- Know your interest. Know where you’re good at. To sustain the business you are entering, you should be enjoying it or else, your business will not last long. Make a list of your best interests then after that, carefully pick the topic/interest that you think you can workout for the rest of your life.
- Do the research. Once you’re done deciding what topic you’re going to focus on. You need to do some research. You need to search the internet if there’s a market for your chosen topic. This will determine if you can go or not with your chosen topic. You may use google, social media networks, and all other possible means to determine whether it can be monetized or not.
Search for the trends to have an idea what’s hot on the market, the keywords people use in searching your topic, the location where your markets are, the groups where your market can be found, the competition if it is already saturated or not, and all other related stuffs. Once you’ve decided to Go, let’s move on to the next step.
2. Where and how do you find products to promote?
Basically, you can promote and sell products you see on the affiliate markets. Though you can actually sell any products you want, be careful not to promote affiliate products on websites with topics that are not related to it. It will be out of place and will likely not to sell.
Sell products that are relevant to your audience, readers,and followers. Promoting a plumbing service in a fashion website will be out of place and most likely will not get sales.
To give you a checklist on what to sell on your website:
- Is the product related to your niche?
- Have you used the product before?
- Will your audience benefit from the product?
- Will you get good commissions form that product?
Tip: Instead of focusing on selling products, focus on giving value to your audiences. This will give good relationship with your followers that will make them buy from your affiliate links.
Here are the list websites known internationally and locally where you can sign up and find products that are related you your niche:
- Amazon.com: Amazon is one of the worlds biggest retailer online that sells almost everything. This is a great place to find streamlined niches and products that are making sales.
- Clickbank.com: Clickbank is one the most famous online market place for digital products, it’s like the Amazon of digital goods. Their market place listings provides a list of niches and sub-niches with a list of products available. Clickbank also provides statistics for their affiliates to use to see the trend.
- CJ Affiliates: CJ affiliates is an online advertising and internet marketing company that specializes in affiliate, media and tracking services. There are a lot of good online shopping companies who are using their affiliate services.
- Lazada.com.ph: Lazada is online shopping website where merchants can use lazada’s services to sell their products online. This is a great place for Filipino internet marketers who are searching for wide variety of local products.
- streetdeal.ph: Similar to lazada, an online shopping website that also has affiliate programs.
Once you have the list of your prospect products to promote, let’s move on to building the website
3. Start building your affiliate website
The next thing to do now is to register a Domain Name and a Hosting Provider. To give you some sort of review or idea, Domain Name is simply the website’s name or website address such as Google.com or PinoyOnlineMarketing.com. This will serve as your business name and therefore should be chosen wisely. Hosting Service Provider, on the other hand, is simply the company where you will be renting in order have a computer server to host your website.
To give you some starter tips on how to find a good hosting site, here’s a list of factors to consider:
- Uptime – Do they tend to keep running?
- Customer Support – Are they fast and knowledgeable?
- Domain Names – Is there a restriction on how many domains you can have?
- Space/Bandwidth – Do they provide enough space/bandwidth for your needs?
- Hosting Specs – Do they have fast servers?
- Extra Features – Do they provide a control panel for ease of use?
Once you’ve decided what Domain Name to choose and where to host your website, you can now start Installing your WordPress Website.
There are other platforms for making websites today but WordPress is by far the most popular, well-documented, under continuous development, a lot of plug-and-play functionalities, and the best part is.. It is Free! Hooray! With wordpress, you don’t need to learn coding yourself, you only need to learn what to click. 🙂
4. Create relevant and engaging content.
Create engaging articles for your audiences where they will benefit and get value. This, in return, will increase the chance of your audience to give back. This is the yin-yang in marketing, the give and take rule. Chasing your prospects will just make them hold back.
Here are powerful starting tips you can consider to your content creation:
- You should be Helping rather than Selling.
- Use compare and contrast.
- Be a solution provider.
- Be genuine.
- Create attention grabbing headlines.
- Be the go-to-guy or go-to-website at least.
- Improve your site’s Know, Like, and Trust factors.
- Develop an engaged community
5. Generate traffic to your website
All of your efforts will be useless without traffic. How can you get sales if no one is even visiting your site? How will people get to your site if your website has no presence at all? There are different ways to generate traffic, it can be paid traffic or organic traffic. I’ll list down here starting tips to generate traffic to your site:
- Blog Commenting
- Forum Commenting
- Guest Blogging
- Facebook Page and Groups
- Social Media Paid Advertisements
- Google Ads
- Search Engine Optimization
Tip: Never engage yourself into spamming. It will only make you and your site not trustworthy.
Remember that affiliate marketing is the best way to monetize your blog. The fact that people are on your site, they are already a streamlined audience. Meaning, the chance for them to buy is already high. Why be paid for redirecting your audiences and buy somewhere instead of be paid for directly buying from you? You will be paid point-something dollar to tens of dollars for a product worth hundreds of dollars in PPC Ads while you can get commission of tens of dollars to hundreds of dollars in affiliate marketing? See the difference?
That’s how powerful affiliate marketing is and that is why I want you to learn how to start affiliate marketing now.
Still don’t know how this works? you may read Basics of Affiliate Marketing.
You might be interested in the following: